Home » Events, Modified News, Track Stuff

Requirements for MSA Drag Racing

20 December 2011 No Comment

2012 Motorsport SA License’s:

Drag racing at Killarney will be split into the following categories:

1.  Club Drags          (Quicker than 13.000 sec)
2.  Streetcar Drags     (13.000 sec and slower streetcars)
3.  Streetbike Drags    (open)

The 2012 MSA Club licence cost is R350, valid for the year.

1.  Club Drags MSA licence info:
Any car running quicker than 13.000 quarter mile times are required to be WPMC Club members (+-R700) and have and MSA Club licence (+-R350) as well as medical cover. If your medical aid covers you for high risk sports please get a letter from them explaining this.  If not, medical cover is available at +-R560 from MSA.

2.  Streetcar Drags MSA licence Info:
Streetcars that do not go quicker than 13.000 are required to have a MSA Club licence (+-R350).

3.  Streetbike Drags MSA licence info:
Streetbikes are required to have a MSA Club licence (+-R350).


WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND MEDICAL COVER FOR ALL EVENTS: Streetcars (that do not go quicker than 13 sec) and Streetbikes are the only facet of MSA motorsport where medical cover is optional in order to make racing more accessible for members of the public.

Note: You need to be a member of a club before you can get a MSA licence. For this Streetcars that do not go quicker than 13.000 seconds as well as Streetbikes can join the WPMC temporary membership for street drags (NO COST).

Temporary WPMC membership is not full WPMC membership and you will not be entitled to any benefits that WPMC members are entitled to such as reduced entry fees, complementary ticket, event access or support vehicle access sticker.

Please note the following procedures you need to do in order to get a MSA licence.

  1. You need to be a member of an MSA affiliated club – For this Streetcars that do not go quicker than 13.000 seconds as well as Streetbikes can join the WPMC temporary membership for street drags (no cost), while those quicker than 13 sec need compulsory WPMC (full) membership.
  2. Take your proof of membership to the MSA office (located at Killarney), fill in the MSA licence application form (3 pages).  The licence fee is R+-350.
  3. MSA Medical insurance is available at a cost of R560 or written proof of personal cover for high risk sports from your relevant medical insurance company needs to be produced.
  4. MSA will then issue you with your 2012 licence card valid until the end of the year – 31st December 2012.  This licence will be valid for all MSA drag racing / Streetracing events at Killarney including Gymkhana events.

Please note that it is best to come to Killarney to get your licence well in advance and between the hours of 9am till 1pm week days. You can contact MSA Cape Town branch on 021 556-1026 for further licence related queries.  For Club drags / Streetracing related queries please contact Paul at the WPMC office on 021 557-1639.
What makes MSA Drags different from Street2Strip?

In short, no long queues between runs.
MSA Drags offers competitions, also known as Bracket Racing (more info on this to follow) which counts towards championship points to determine the top 3 champions for the year. After each event there is also a prize giving where you could possibly take home trophies and/or prize monies (TBC). ALL drag racing runs will be published after each event. Nice for analyzing your runs, etc.

Still not sure if MSA drags is for you?
Feel free to contact me (Marlize Hoon) at marlizehoon@gmail.com


* Prices mentioned refers to 2011 costs, and should therefore just be used for indication purposes only. Hence the reason for using “+-” The correct values will be updated as soon as it’s available.

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.